Summer is here

Sunday, September 11, 2011

It seems like yesterday-

This time I will not be writing about Izabella. I will be writing about that day 10 years ago. I remember it just like it was yesterday.....

Bill and I were not even married yet. We were driving to Dallas to visit his cousin, wife and new born baby girl. It was a long drive so Bill and I were taking turns driving and sleeping. We were stopping for gas and switching and Bill came running out of the gas station saying a plan hit the Twin Towers. I thought to myseldf how can I be dating a guy who joked like that. Sadly it was no a joke. He told me to turn on the radio. Within two minutes plane number two. Sleep now longer seemed important. We could not turn off the radio. We heard of the pentagon and Shanksville. This hit me hard because my cousin was working not far from the Pentagon. We pulled off to get something at a Walmart and people were lined up at the gas station stocking up on gas. When walked into Walmart they had TV's on and were showing it over and over again. It was horrible but we could not turn our heads away. Bill used some words not often spoken (those mother uckers). He turned and saw an older lady and apoligized for his language. She said" I could not say it any better". When we finally reached Dallas, I called my parents. I knew they would be nervous. It had never been so good to hear their voices. I wished I could reach through the phone and hug them.

We were suppose to fly back to Chicago. Since flights were canceled we opted to make the long drive day. I remember at one point we were driving and a cop pulled up next to us and gave me the slow down sign. Did not pull me over. I was never so excited to be home from a vacation.

I remember it like yesterday. I think today of the families who were not able to give that hug again. If this has changed anything,I realize life turns on a dime. I never get off the phone with my family without saying I love you. You never know when it is you last. I thank our soliders fighting for our freedom, our police and fire. and their families. God Bless everyone in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment